Sunday, 21 July 2013

A quick catch up

Life as usual been very hectic.  Our new tractor is proving its worth at the moment with all the grass cutting that is happening. The chickens, ducks and geese can't believe their luck with all the seed heads and little insects that have been revealed.  It all makes for tasty eggs.  We have many regular customers now and one lady travels for quite a few miles as she will only buy our eggs. I feel very proud that our eggs are so lovely and tasty.

Monday saw the boar being taken off to the slaughter house.  It was ever so sad as he was so friendly.  He just walked on to the trailer and once at the other end just walked straight off.

Yesterday saw us do our very first hog roast. We did eighty rolls in an hour and everyone loved the free range, high welfare pork that we had produced. Husband had gotten up at a quarter past two in the morning to start the roasting process. He then checked it hourly as apparently the spit has an occasional habit for jumping out of the slot, but everything was fine.
 The hungry people soon made light work of pig.  We were very generous with the pork and the smell of it cooking helped with the wonderful atmosphere.  Everyone was interested and asking lots of question.  Someone made enquiries as to hiring us for a function, so that would be nice. Maybe our matching T shirts and aprons were not a waste!
We also used the experience as a dry run for No 1's party that we are organising. We can't hire this particular machine as it has already been booked out.  I've looked at buying one but they are an expense that I just can't afford at the moment. I was beginning to get very worried as the party is only five weeks away, when a funny thing happened this afternoon. We were scrubbing the machine in the front garden this afternoon when a man came to do a leaflet drop. It turns out that he owns the exact same machine and he is willing to hire it to us. He has owned it for about four years and has only used it once. It also turns out that he played the part of the nurse in the film Bronson...

TTFN! Only two more days until School's out for Summer...

3 comments:

  1. Well you have been very busy. Lucky break finding that guy with the machine that you can use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! they were all hungry indeed.

    Jille darling, just wanted to come by to say hello and see how my darling friend is doing. Hope all is well with you. I know I have said this many times before, however, I do hope that this time I will be able to post more regularly. Today is a very special day for us and I couldn't allow this day to go by without posting. I am hoping for a girl for the Cambridges, however, a tiny whisper tells me it will be a boy. I just wish Princess Diana was here to welcome her grandchild. How are you doing my dalring?

    Sending you love and hugs
    Duchess

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really busy for you at the minute. The Hog Roast looks amazing I could just eat some mmmmmmm. Melanie xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by. I love it when you leave a message!