During my stay in Wales I bought myself some wool...

It is yarn that is similar to ribbon. To cast on, you need to flatten the yarn and push the needle through the top edge to 'pick up' a stitch.

To knit a scarf, pick up five stitches at 3inch intervals.

To continue knitting, push the second needle through the stitch before pushing it through the edge of the yarn 3inches away and then push the first stitch off the needle as you would normally. Continue knitting throughout with the yarn at 3inch intervals.

The yarn is variegated, so on one side you always knit into the pale edge, whilst on the other side before knitting the first stitch, the yarn is turned over so that you always knit with the darker edge.
This means that the one side of the scarf is dominantly paler than the other.

Continue alternating dark and light rows until almost all of the ball is used up. Cast off and then sew in the ends of the yarn. It knits up really quickly so a scarf could be made in an evening!
I realise that I haven't taken a picture of the completed scarf so I will do that tomorrow!
I don't know how to knit but that is a very pretty scarf and love that yarn
ReplyDeleteI made one recently from similar yarn called Rico Cancan - great fun to make!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful colour. Looking foward to see the scarf in all its finished glory!
ReplyDelete