Thursday, 3 February 2011
I've had a kit for making a stool for a looooooooong time! It was a 'someday' kit. Anyway 'someday' happened to fall today! Firstly I glued the frame together...
I feel sorting the cord could have gone better...
Ta-da! So this month's monthly make is my stool. I'm really pleased with the top but underneath is definitely best kept underneath!
I blogged about buying an old sewing machine back here. Last night I got the machine out and gave it a good clean.
I noticed a number on it.
A little research shows me that this machine was manufactured in 1898 and it still works! It is such a lovely sound when the handle is turned it honestly sings! And I really can't tell you how excited I was to see the bobbin fill up with thread, it was beautiful! I realise that I sound completely mad but I feel honoured to be a fraction of this machine's life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I would so love an old machine like that - I am very envious :) Could you imagine the stories these machines could tell if they could talk?!
ReplyDeleteI love old machines they are so elegant.
ReplyDeleteGillx
The stool is fab, I haven't even thought about my february make yet. I have an old machine like yours - I will have to look at the number now.
ReplyDeletekind regards,
Shirley
Oh wow your stool is amazing! I had one of these as a kid and it was almost exactly the same as yours. The old machine is a beauty.
ReplyDeleteYour parcel arrived last night, my neighbour brought it round late on, I was so excited. I have not oepened it yet though but I can't wait ~ many thanks xx Yours will be in the post tomorrow morning, I was awaiting delivery of one little thing and it should be here today.
Hugs
kandi x
I need to take time to clean mine up to use. Thanks for the encouragement!!!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
KT
the stool looks great.
ReplyDeleteHow awesome is that sewing machine. Even better that it still works. That's one fabulous treasure you have there.
Hi, I remembered that I had one put away int the loft! I just got it out and have now checked the number on google, mine was made in 1922 in scotland. Thank you for reminding me about my old machine, I would never have done anything about it otherwise! Think it needs a good clean now - any tips?
ReplyDeleteLesley