Our land has been neglected for many many years and we do worry that perhaps we are out of our depth. Husband came from a farming background and all our married life (21 years) this is what we have worked for. We moved away from our families many years ago so have no close farming support. So although there is an element of 'aaah! What have we done!' there is also a much bigger element of excitement.
He sees 'let's cut the hedge back'...

...I see crab apple jelly, haw jelly and elderflower cordial!
I see the amazing beauty of nature...he thinks I'm completely mad because it is so overgrown!
We both see 'this has got to come down before it falls down and kills someone!'
I'm hoping that this one day will be my orchard and where I keep bees...

There is such a lot of work that we will be doing over the next few years.
I see the amazing beauty of nature...he thinks I'm completely mad because it is so overgrown!
There is such a lot of work that we will be doing over the next few years.
Keep your fingers crossed last night as were looking at the land in disbelief I think we may have been adopted by a local Farmer!
Kind of heart and true of soul attracts like minded help and I think it will all work out for the best, hopefully the local farmer will see that you are taking an interest and give you a helping hand when you require it... the metal off the building (if you don't want to re-use it) will make you some money for scrap... I think I am right in saying that scrap metal prices are quite good at the moment... a friend of ours stripped down a lorry and took it to the scrapyard and got over 500 hundred pounds...
ReplyDeletebig hugs and I'm with you with the lands potential... you just have to look with "realistic eyes of old" and not eyes of "modern day life" where everything should be neat and in its place... and an orchard would be wonderful plus the bees could certainly need the help... next you'll have chickens to keep the bugs down... but the predators would probably be tricky to control... but hey its an adventure and one that we have dreamed of for an age...
x Alex
Happy Friday pretties !! hugs Ria.......Happy weekend !
ReplyDeleteHappy Friday pretties !! hugs Ria.......Happy weekend !
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your new land and make Nettle soup befor there alll gone, are you going to keep chickens? i used to have 3 beauties,oh how i miss them. enjoy all your new acres!
ReplyDelete