Thursday, 21 February 2013

Felt heart or heart felt

After seeing a lovely tutorial for making a felted heart I had decided not to do mine, but I'd taken the photos and it was in my 'pending posts' pile so I'm going to do it anyway and apologise if you already know. I made hearts in different colours and strung them together to hang on my pine wall cupboard.  I fell short of making crochet hearts and turned my talents towards something I can do...
The supplies that you need for this simple project are quite minimal.  You will need some rovings or fleece, a cookie cutter in the shape of your choice, felting needle and a sponge.  I use a kitchen sponge which is fine for these small projects and are easily discarded.

The sponge is needed because the felting needle is very hard and brittle (oh and VERY sharp), if the needle bangs onto a hard surface it snaps. Tease a clump of the wool together and place into the cutter which is on top of the sponge.
With the needle make stabbing motions all over the heart.  The barbs on the needle are 'knitting' the fibres together so that the ball of fluff that you started with is beginning to hold together and become firm.

 After a while I remove the cutter and take a look.  The heart is beginning to take shape, so remove it from the sponge and turn it over in the cutter.
 
Once the shape has been felted both sides, remove the cutter once more.  You should have a firm shape that you are happy with.
You could sit back and admire your handy work or you could add an embellishment.
One thing that is for sure, once you get the hang of it, one will not be enough...

3 comments:

  1. I felted mine on the back of a cushion and it stuck to the cushion when I removed the cookie cutter and still managed to break TWO needles! So I'm sticking to crochet for now!Yours look pretty across your dresser though. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I've never tried before but you make it sound very easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great way of making felt hearts

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by. I love it when you leave a message!