Monday, 19 April 2010

It has been a long day today. Teacher training days can sometimes be soooooo boring! My day improved when I came home to homemade nettle soup. If like me you sometimes let your garden go a little, then you've probably got enough nettles for supper!

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2lb of nettles (tops or young leaves)
2 medium red onions, finely chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed (important to keep vampires away - use less if you don't have a problem!)
1 litre vegetable stock
1 cup of cooked rice
salt and pepper to taste


Method:
Wash the nettles thoroughly. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, cook the onion, carrot and garlic until soft but not brown.

Add the stock and nettles and bring to the boil. Simmer until the nettles are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Puree the soup in a liquidiser with the cooked rice. HINT: Try not to overfill, as lovely as the green soup is you really don't want it all over your worktop - try 2 or 3 batches! This is obviously not experience talking...ahem.
Enjoy with crusty bread (or sliced bread if you forgot to buy some!)
I am quietly contented with an afterglow of garlic. I should be vampire free tonight!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious. Will certainly give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had nettle soup, yours looke delicious, will give it a tryxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I have left an award for you on my blog. SueXX

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by. I love it when you leave a message!