Tuesday, 8 January 2013

A quick makeover

It was interesting reading about what other bloggers do with their Christmas cards, I like the idea of Christmas tags so i might try it next time!
After taking down the decorations, everywhere seems so bare. I decided that first for a makeover were these candles..
I'm not sure about you, but having tried possibly every craft under the sun, I am never normally short of supplies. I gathered some useful bits and pieces: hessian, raffia, buttons and of course my candle.  Not in the picture is my glue gun.
First I cut the hessian into a strip that is long enough to wrap around the candle with a little overlap.
Then I pulled away at the threads at the top and bottom of the strip to make a frayed decorative edge.
I then tied some of the raffia around the middle to secure.  This is simple and quite effective but then I started faffing about with other bits and pieces.
I used ricrac around the top and a length of ribbon around the bottom. I attached both with a small dab of the glue gun around the back out of sight.  I then glued the larger button onto the raffia and as the glue oozed through the holes I stuck on a smaller heart shaped button. I'm not sure that it really goes with the wall but hey ho, it's a simple bit of decoration that can be easily changed.  Husband is now very worried that we will light the candles and burn the house down.  He however did not see the amount of dust that was wiped from top - these candles are not for burning!

4 comments:

  1. took mine down yesterday and had a GOOD clean........yearning to put it all back up as it's so bare!

    Great candlesticks!

    Off to decorate for winter....snowflakes and my frosty wreath :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great. I love the look of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look gorgeous! I wish I could get over my fear of glue-guns! And soldering irons! Literally, I cannot even touch a glue-gun. I spent the whole of my 3 years doing CDT at school (Craft,design and technology) being terrified of most of the hot equipment in the room!!! (and bunsen burners in science!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a sorry state of affairs when you have to post a blog for me to notice the candles you have decorated. this is awkward. the red buttons do match though!xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by. I love it when you leave a message!