Tuesday, 22 January 2013

How important is spelling to you? I often have a problem with poor spelling and one of my major irritations with people is when they confuse 'your' and 'you're'.  I even managed to pass this on to my daughter! Anyway, on my way to work I pass this sign every morning, but rather than annoy me, it amuses me. I must be mellowing in my old age! Just before Christmas they were offering a Christmas 'hampster' - I wonder what it tasted like?

8 comments:

  1. You're not alone on your irritation but yes sometimes these mistakes can bring a chuckle or two can't they!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Jillie
    my dad is dyslexic, left school at 14 barely able to read and write, he is an incredible craftsman and artist. but still cannot spell. My son is dyslexic and also cannot spell, he just works in a different way, hes at Kings uni in London studying computer science, ...although not dyslexic myself I find spelling a challenge, even at my grand old age!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jille,

    I have emailed you regarding winning the Tutorial Exchange on the Totally Tutorials blog. Please email me your address so Abakhan can mail out your buttons.

    Kym

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hellooooo!!!
    See I tracked you down at last :-)
    Funnily enough that window was just how I imagined it - I just can't believe you've resisted the temptation to 'SEE WHATS SPECIOL' Ha ha xxx By the way - I realise it was spelt properly the second time - such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's annoying me as is the lack of apostrophe in 'what's'. Mind you, I am no perfectionist, I make mistakes but on the shop front?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess it depends. If I'm reading a book the spelling mistakes drive me nuts but I have a friend at work who's spelling is atrocious. I often laugh when I read how she's spelled some of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many years ago while at school I was diagnosed with what they called at the time 'word blindness' , was told I was going to get extra help which didn't happen, since then I have worked hard to check things I write, but I do make mistakes and sometimes, I just don't see them. Having said that if I was putting something on a shop window, I would make sure if was right.

    Jotting down phone numbers is a real problem for me I always have to check before they hang up, because more often than not the numbers are not in the right order, drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of the time, people who cant spell dont even realize they cant spell. As a proof-reader I admit to being highly irritated with any mistakes, but I know some people simply cant help it. I proof-read for an author who is dyslexic, and I find it quite a challenge sometimes, and at other times highly amusing.
    Joy xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by. I love it when you leave a message!