I despair with the turkeys. I have five Bourbon Red turkeys, which is a heritage breed. Most of the heritage breeds are considered rare. Commercial growers always want the breeds that grow quickly so that they provide more meat for the food that is provided for them. Makes commercial sense, but not necessarily producing best flavour.
It's no wonder that my turkeys are a rare breed. They lay a handful of eggs and become broody. In spite of my best efforts they will not shift. I hadn't wanted any turkey eggs in the incubator just yet but I've had no choice. I managed to whip six eggs away before she got too angry with me taking them. So now she has called for re-enforcements as another two hens are sitting there. They are under the perch making it very hard to move them. Last year despite sitting on and off for most of the summer no eggs hatched from them.
Meanwhile Don is helping husband to put up a new area for the pigs that are expected in about four weeks time. It's hard to believe that Don is 79, he is amazing. I did take more photos of the men digging the holes for the sleepers. Not an easy jobs as this batch of sleepers are all hardwood and very heavy. Once the sleepers are in, then we will be hiring a hole borer for the rest of the fence posts.
Sounds very busy down your way and the turkeys sound very stubborn indeed.
ReplyDeleteRosie
Oh dear!!! Broody turkeys! My friend's family were chicken farmers and he was always telling me that the turkeys were really mean and aggressive and horrid to each other so I guess at least they are not being too unpleasant to you! Or are they?>x
ReplyDelete