I am very blessed to work in a special needs school. It gladdens my heart to see my students everyday, my staff aren't too bad either ; ). The theme for our class topic this term is Victorian Historians, we are currently working on Alice in Wonderland.
We have done lots of sensory work around Alice in Wonderland which involves different materials that appeal to all the senses. It is often the process that holds the actual learning and I then turn it into something that visually appeals to the adults in my class. This keeps everyone happy! For instance my students have been touching a mixture of glitter, sequins and buttons, this was part of their learning activity. Prior to this an adult had supported them with squeezing a sauce bottle holding pva glue into making swirls/circles (onto black card) the amount and form of support depending on the student. This then became the platform on which to touch the sensory materials, which would stick to the glue and make a picture.
My students don't particularly have any interest in the finished article but the staff that work with them do. This is the display of the student's work for our 'Down the rabbit hole' display board.
Tomorrow we are ready to make Mad hatter hats!
I have a mixture of different textures to touch which will be over glue again. We will see how it all turns out tomorrow! Sometimes there is no salvaging for the adults!
Sometimes when I get home I'm all done with creativity!




It sounds like you make learning lots of fun.
ReplyDelete