Saturday, 7 January 2017

Jumble sale

I've had a lovely time at the first jumble sale of  the year. I was not the only one who had decluttered as there was a mountain of black bin bags. I was not going to buy anything at all today. Nothing. Not one thing. That didn't last long, although I was very selective over the items I did choose.
I had an immaculate Yardley ginger jar which will now live in my bathroom holding my bath bombs. A selection of vintage lace and ribbons. It's very rare that I don't come away with an embroidered cloth or two, and today I came away with just the one. There were others but the quality of the stitchwork wasn't so good. Owing to having quite a collection I have to be choosy! I had an old glasses case, which after doing a Hen's Teeth workshop I have plans for. I couldn't resist the old tin which really does look like it's had a really hard life. My daughter saves playing cards, which she also plays with, she currently has 24 packs. I do wonder where she gets her hoarding tendencies! A mystery! Anyway, I was brought up playing patience with cards and I in turn taught my own children. The devil makes work for idle hands so a packet of playing cards slipped into my handbag always meant that there was something for them to play with wherever we were, and they were kept out of mischief. ..on the whole! You can see the cards that I picked up for her in the photo. I will take better ones tomorrow as they are too nice not to share.  My favourite purchase are my vintage glass ornaments. I was so excited when I saw them, that I did a happy dance!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice purchases. The ornaments are pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just popped a pack of playing cards into my handbag for tomorrow's family lunch out for my Mother's birthday to keep the young 'uns amused. Thanks for the tip, Jille. I usually take crayons and drawing paper but this is a much more transportable option! Love thos vintage decs. Good haul but try to remember the sight of all those bin liners in the hope that you won't have to start filling up your own anytime soon!!Good weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's years since I've been to a jumble sale. They don't seem to happen around here anymore. You found some beautiful things that I would have probably picked myself I'd been there instead of you. It's hard to find good broderie anglais and old Christmas decorations and I can't resist a beautifully embroidered tablecloth either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fabulous stash you found and I know just what you will be doing with that glasses case. Can't wait to see the end result
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by. I love it when you leave a message!